Monday, December 05, 2005

The Weekend that Was...

This weekend started on Friday morning. After pointing out early last week that I am the most senior member of the staff to not have had a business trip, I was invited to attend the annual luncheon of the International Steel Traders' Association. This is not really what I had in mind but of course I agreed. My boss has, in the past, asked me to adjust my appearance. This is something I'm not used to and don't take very kindly to. On one occasion he told me that if they were to send me on a trip, he'd want me to have a shave and a haircut to which I of course replied, “Patrick, I'd love to shave but I can't afford a razor on this salary.” I'm fairly direct usually. When asking me to attend the ISTA luncheon, he said, “If you could make yourself presentable, I'd like you to go.” This was coming from an over-weight, uni-browed man who can often be spotted in large, stretched t-shirts and jeans. I on the other hand am usually wearing nice jeans, shirt-sweater combos with tie and sometime a sports jacket. Anyway, I said “I assume by that comment that you mean more presentable.” and agreed to go. Friday came and I was greeted with many compliments from the men at work, comments such as, “Wow, he can dress-up.”, “Wo Jason, new duds?”, “Who do you have to give the tie back to?” The girls in the office of course, didn't understand since they've noticed this particular outfit before and are well aware that I generally look good. Sometimes these stupid guys just really annoy the hell out of me.

I don't really mingle or schmooze, especially with steel traders. Luckily though, I didn't really have to. Lucia and I got to The Brewery (a huge posh venue) at 10 in order to set up a table and assist Jenny with the other set-up since our company was sponsoring the event. There was not much to do so we took advantage of the open bar with a few screwdrivers. When lunch was finally served and the thousand or so steel people had become sufficiently buzzed, we were treated to a three-course meal and all the wine we wanted. Boring speeches, etc. At about five, after everyone was finished and speeches had been heard, we were told that now was when everything really started. It was time to go to the pub. Steel people drink! I don't really like being drunk so I had slowed significantly during lunch. At the pub my boss kept plopping champagne down on our table at £30 a bottle. I think we must have gone through about 12 or so and it was delicious and didn't bring about ridiculous drunkenness or needless hangover. Anyway, that was my big foray into the business world. Moral of Friday: straight bosses only notice my outfits when they're nervous about how I'll represent them and steel people drink-often well.

Saturday was spent wandering around on Oxford street with all it's Christmas joys; mostly crowds. I didn't really do much purchasing but it was fun to look at everything. Especially exciting was seeing the Selfridge's Christmas window displays, the models for which I got to assist with back when I was working on the film here. They turned out really cool and almost exactly as they had in the models. If I get a chance I'll take some pictures.

On Sunday, Lucia and I headed out of the city to Oxford for a day of proper England. We were lazy and just walked around looking at the university and the quaint town before stopping in a pub for Sunday roast. It was a fantastically chill day of tourism.




Blah blah blah, I hate this post... I hope you're not bored...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Laura. I espcially like the part about the drunken work function. Makes me miss my London co-workers. ~TS