Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Muntjac!

Today at work, Cody asked if any of us had heard of the Muntjac. We hadn't. It turns out that a muntjac is an animal and, probably, we should have heard of it. Now I'll tell you about the muntjac, as if giving a report in elementary school.

The muntjac is a mammal. It is related to deer but it is smaller. It belongs to the family Muntiacinae
within the order Cervidae. The muntjac comes from Asia and is the oldest kind of deer. Although is originally came from Asia, now it is found all over England. Muntjac are sometimes called "Barking Deer" because of the sound they make.

Muntjac are very small. They look like they have big
back legs which makes them look funny. They look a little like they'll fall forward onto their face. When they run, they keep their head close to the ground and they put their butts in the air. When they are full-grown, they usually are only about 43-46 cm tall at their shoulders. That's about the size of a medium dog! Muntjac are mostly brown-red in summer and dark brown in winter. They have white bellies.

Boy and girl muntjac have special holes on their faces. They make stuff in these holes to leave their smell on stuff. It is kinda creamy and whiteish. Boys g
row antlers. They usually only have 2 and these horns end in a hook. They are pretty short and are mostly just one spike, not like our deers. Both boys and girls have "canine" teeth which are sometimes called "tusks". These teeth can move to make eating easier!

They eat plants. Sometimes muntjacs can break little trees so they can eat the stuff on the top. I think they also climb trees sometimes. It's okay to be short when you can still eat the high up stuff.

I think muntjac are cool and I'm glad I wrote a report about them. Here's a picture of a muntjac.


This question also came up: If 'muntjac' were a verb, what would it mean? Here I use it in a sentence:
  • I was just sittin there when Bobby muntjac'd me.
  • I'm gonna go out tonight and jac some munt.
  • One, two, muntjac to my loo.
The challenge to you, dear reader, is to come up with the best definition for 'muntjac' the verb and post it in the comments.

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that it can also be used to describe heavy use of drugs or the consumption of massive quantities of alcohol. As in:

"Dude, I'm gonna' get so muntjac-ed up this weekend, it's not even funny."

Anonymous said...

I did a report like that once, too. I think it was of an eagle . . . or maybe a dolphin . . . or possibly some kind of platypus-type thing. I can't remember.

Anyway, my belated contribution to the Dictionary According to Jason is this:

Munjac (verb): to soil oneself from laughter or other strong emotional reaction.

example sentence #1: "Man, that story was so funny I totally just muntjacked."

example sentence #2: "Jerry makes me so mad I could muntjac!"

And yes, I am an adolescent boy.

Anonymous said...

Well, while using the word as a verb, I would like to remain true to the beloved species. My contribution, while holding true to the deer, also reflects some aspects of my life:

"The other night, while I was at Club 5 with my friend, this guy who likes me, Paul, muntjaced all over me, as if marking his territory as a warning to the other fags."

Anonymous said...

YOU KNOW JASON;

I'VE HEARD IT SAID THAT THE FAMILY THAT MUNTJACS TOGETHER STAYS TOGETHER. SO FUNNY