Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Leslie Hall


There are many things that I have failed to let you all know about. I shall endeavor to catch you up over the next few weeks. Update #1 involves LESLIE HALL! You may remember the various odes to her that I posted a few months ago. She's some sort of performance art genius. I LUV her always. Anyway, she was in Madison for a show in October and I was there with bells (sadly sans sweater) on.

It all started with a vintage fashion show featuring items from a local resale shop. I don't know why but I wasn't expecting much. It turned out to be pretty cool. The fashions themselves rocked. It was a nice fusion of old clothes, newish styling. I dug it. All this was followed by a local band called, Screaming Cyn Cyn and the Pons (I think). It was kinda screamy but really funny and quite enjoyable. It was clearly not Rachel's cup-o-tea but Anna, Andy, and I were all over it. Check em out if you can. Support the local music scene.

OK, all the foreplay out of the way, it was time for the Gold-Panted-Goddess herself. She did not fail to amaze! For all of you unfamiliar, get on it! There are many reasons to like her/respect her:
  1. She has talent! She writes/sings/dances with amazing wit and irony.
  2. She's hilarious. Simple.
  3. She's made a real career for herself utilizing the internet. Myspace particularly. I think that's pretty impressive. She has harnessed a new media and has used it to connect to a semi-hidden audience.
  4. She wears GOLD pants.
  5. She is the curator of the world's only traveling, gem-sweater museum.
So, she swooped in and danced it up to some killer jams (gems). After a while she invited a number of people (including Aaliyah and Anna) to join her on stage for the "naming ceremony" in which she bestowed names on the delightfully trashy gem sweaters which speckled the audience. Then she danced upside down in a harness suspended from a log being held by two men and kicked Rachel in the face. Said one of the bartenders, "Now I can say I've seen it all." She really didn't disappoint and I can't wait to see her again. Check out her website to see if she'll be near you soon. If she is, there can be NO reason to not see her. GO, GO, GO.

Everyone together: "That's a ruff post!" Here's a similarly ruff pic:


.

No comments: