Thursday, August 04, 2005

It seems my luck life comes in spurts...

The job front here in London has been a constant source of worry and stress since I got here. I eagerly took the job with Esprit catering, only to find there have been NO gigs yet. Then, I had the two temp positions which quickly flickered out. Now, this week! With no promising leads, I didn't expect much. Then Monday happened. On Monday, I received calls for jobs from 4 companies, and my job agency. This week has been rife with interviews and telephone calls. FINALLY!

So, on Tuesday, I was to interview with a telemarketer, offering broadband internet access. I didn't go. That afternoon though, I did meet with Steel BB to discuss my future in the steel industry. It seems they want to expand/start their market in the US and, so, require an American; enter me. The pay is good, the task is challenging, and I have the possibility of transferring the job to the U.S. when I'm done here.

I also received an email on Monday stating this: "Hey, sorry we couldn't hire you before but, the president of the company saw your CV and would like you to come in for a slightly different job." I was excited as this company is an international legal researcher and fairly impressive. However, after sitting for half an hour waiting for dude, he showed up to describe the job like this, "It'll be very mundane. You'll be filing, shipping things, cleaning my office, making coffee, loading the dishwasher, answering phones, etc, for about £5/hour." Ok...but, my C.V is a bit better than that. "Oh, and could you, tonight, write a 500 word comprehensive critical analysis of this magazine? Thanks, bye." Really? Dishwasher boy writes your critical analyses? Anyone that knows me knows that I can criticize but...c'mon. This whole interview pissed me off and Steel just feels better.

I also got an unexpected call from Michael Howells, who is the production designer for "66" with Working Title Films. I had sent my C.V. over there a couple weeks ago but didn't really think I'd hear anything. Anyway, he called, offering me a chance to intern with the art department on this film, at one of the studios here. Unfortunately, they can't pay me. I really want to do this. It'd be such an awesome learning experience, not least of all, because it's a period film (1966). I can't, though, afford to be here and not make money. So, now, my thinking goes like this: Steel BB needs me to talk to people in the U.S., that's up to an 8-hour time difference. I will therefore be working later in the day (which blows but...whatever) so perhaps I can intern on the movie in the morning and then do Steel in the afternoon/evening. 2 birds, one stone, kinda?

Now, I have another interview today which I don't think I'll like but...I'll go anyway. I also may have an interview through the agency tomorrow. It's about damn time. Sorry for the length of this post. Take care y'all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good news good news!! All good news!

xxoo, T