Monday, August 29, 2005

Mein besonderen Besuch in Deutschland...

I've had such a fabulous weekend in Germany. Saarlouis is a small, old town, (very) near the French and Luxembourgi borders. All weekend, the weather was perfect and there was never a rush. I absolutely loved everything. Saturday morning, we landed in Frankfurt and rented a car to drive to Saarlouis. I don't know why but I didn't really anticipate Germany being so lovely. After wandering the Cobblestone streets and lounging, we went to Sabine's friends' for dinner.

From Detlaff and Petra's house, it is possible to jog to France but the village is still remarkably German. It was so exciting for me to be able to converse in German. After so many years of my education lying dormant, it's good to know that it can come back when required. We all had such a feast and spent the night drinking wine and talking under the stars. It was VERY storybook-like and perfect.

On Sunday, we walked around more and eventually ended up in a park where there just happened to be a small German band playing traditional German music. So, we sat, in a perfect park, under a perfect sun, sipping a Bier/Lemonade drink called Panache and listened to the perfect music. Ah... Sunday evening, after picking Sabine's mom, Helga, up at the train station, we went to a wonderful French restaurant on top of a hill. We sat outside on a terrace that overlooked 4 different villages and watched the sunset over sorbet. It was totally cliche and wonderful and I loved it.

Now, I'm back, nose to the grindstone, dealing with the endless frustrations the British beuracracy provides. More on this later...

2 comments:

Movie Maven said...

yay! I would try to comment auf Deutsch, but it would be embarassingly bad. I'm glad your trip was fun/cliche.

Anonymous said...

I am SEVERELY jealous of you right now! I'm glad you had fun. ~Tbird