Monday, November 14, 2005

Part the Fourth: In Which We Return to the Real World...

Once again we got to enjoy the bus trip back to Salerno and then we got on the train back to Roma. This time though we got to sit in a compartment with some very friendly Sicilianos. They were all very eager to talk but spoke no English. We therefore had a very interesting conversation which was more reliant on my phrase book than I would have liked. I learned how much this book sucked during this conversation. I've outlined below some phrases I wish I knew how to say and some that I can say thanks to the Berlitz Italian Phrase Book:

I was here in January. - ?
I have a vaginal infection. - Ho un'infezione vaginale.
Yes, I have a sunburn. - ?
I don't want it extracted. - Non voglio un'estrazione.
How long does the train take from Syracuse? - ?
Can you recommend a good steakhouse? - Puo consigliare un buon ristorante specializzato in bistecche?
No, I'm American but I live in London and I have Irish skin. We're in Italy on holiday. - ?
I am famous. - Mi famoso.
Oh, he likes the cover. - ?
This is really a crap book. - ?
I want a specimen of your stool. - Voglio un campione feci.
25 - ?
We're both 23. - ?
Do you speak German? - ?

Anyway, we had a nice chat even so. The one with down syndrome was apparently taken with my crap book because the signorinas on the cover were hot. I ripped off the cover and gave it to him as a souvenir of the two American kids that couldn't talk.

We flew from Roma to London on Saturday with Ryan Air which is a very cheap but also very inefficient airline. We met a crazy, semi-sober, elderly British woman who was very upset about the queuing (or not, as it were) in Ciampino airport. At one point she muttered to Becki and I, "I'm losin' the will ta live." We laughed. After a bus, a plane and two more buses, we finally got to my flat and crashed. On Sunday morning we woke up and watched The Music Man on TV and then headed to Hyde Park to take advantage of the perfect autumn weather.

Later on Sunday evening we met up with Marcelo and some other Brazilians for 'Gay Bingo' in Shoreditch. We drank many drinks and played a lot of bingo and it was crazy fun. Who knew gay bingo was where it's at? It was hosted by an insane drag queen (think Brent Barkhaus on speed) who called the numbers by weaving them into disgusting stories or scatting them like a punk rock jazz singer. So much fun!! We had an awesome time and it was the most cliche, bestest vacation ever. Ciao Becki, see you soon.



Then it was over and back to work on Monday. At least I get views like this from my office:


2 comments:

Movie Maven said...

I have never been more jealous of anyone, ever.

Anonymous said...

Word. ~TS