Monday, November 14, 2005

Part the Third: In Which We Glimpse Eden...

According to the legend, Hercules was in love with a nymph named Amalfi and was so sad when she died that he buried her in the most beautiful place on Earth and gave that place her name...

On Wednesday morning, we hopped a train da Roma, a Salerno. Once there, we got on a bus and rode for about an hour on a highway along the Mediterranean Sea. An hour on a bus might sound like a long time but, this was the most beautiful bus ride I've ever had. The whole way, the sea was on one side and mountains on the other. Amalfi is seriously beautiful and describing it would be futile so here are some pics:




So, we totally went to Amalfi! Our room was at A Scallinatella in Atrani which is an even smaller town about 10 minutes' walk from Amalfi on the sea coast. I can't think of a time in my life when I've felt any more at peace than I did in this amazing place. Any nagging worries or concerns that I had melted away. I spent a day here hiking all over Amalfi and discovering secret little alleys and staircases that led to interesting places. I spent another day hiking through the valley which encloses Atrani. I got up early and took off up into the mountains. There were many cocks actually crowing and I got to see an chickens being fed and the sun peeking into the valley. It's been said that "The day of judgment for those that die in Amalfi is probably just like any other day" and really... it couldn't be more true.

In addition to amazing natural beauty, we also ate the best meal of our lives. At La Cantina San Nicola, Becki and I tasted heaven. Turns out heaven tastes like this: smoked mozzarella between lemon leaves, Mama Margherita's Meatloaf, Lasagne Neopolitana, Stuffed Calimari and Stuffed Crepe. Delizioso!

We also spent some serious time on the beach. The Mediterranean was surprisingly warm and I'm so glad to have swam in it in November. There were lots of beautiful people about and a lot of little old ladies rockin their bikinis. Each night there we would go to the beach and stare at the stars and drink wine (which was about €2/bottle (coke was €3.50)). Drinking wine on a beach under stars with the sounds of waves and a great friend...it doesn't get much better than that. More pics:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where is Fillipo????