Tuesday, July 05, 2005

A friend of mine recently had a break-in

A friend of mine recently had a break-in in her apartment. Sad, I know. The amazing thing is that almost nothing got stolen. The robbery was aborted mid-ransack by an intrepid roommate. Unfortunetly, one item was taken. My friend is sadly, recently, without her vibrator. So, if anyone has seen a mysterious short man shaking strangely, please report him.

Speaking of friends, how does one obtain them? As I make this transition to London, the thing most noticeably missing is friendship. I really miss my friends every day and I’m not sure how to overtly go about getting some new ones. I’m one that doesn’t really like to go to a pub by themselves. I did, however, do so tonight. Next step: smalltalk. I was feeling kinda lonely and needed some sort of entertainment. I went to the neighborhood gay bar and observed the local color but, apparently, if I don’t talk first, no one will. We gays are the same wherever one goes I guess. We tend to travel in packs and noone likes to break the ice. Perhaps when I get a job or when Rachel gets here, I’ll have some new means to get friends. In the meantime however, I guess it’s just me, testing my wings which is actually great in a way.

Anyway…in other news. I have an actual apartment now or at least I have one for the next three weeks. I couldn’t be happier about this. Living out of a suitcase just isn’t for me. I also sent my C.V. to bunch of temp services today and am hoping to hear back soon. I’m fairly confident…if I do say so, myself, I have a pretty great resume and cover letter (thanks Pam!). So, hopefully I’ll hear something soon. In the meantime, I plan to apply for something (whatever they got) at the BBC and some local theatre companies. Although I had been feeling burned out by the arts recently, the movie really did something to spark it. I feel that distant possibility of creating something great again. It’s nice to have a reinvigoration like that. The movie, although stressful was a perfect reminder of why I studied what I did; with dedication and commitment, art is possible, even in the face of commercial interests.

I know this is a very meandering post…sorry. Until next time-goodnight!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I've never read anyone else's blog (beyond one-time perusals), this won't be cliche at all! I'm so glad I'll be able to live vicariously through you.

I personally love wandering around alone, it's a great chance for interesting observations/conversations. Just think, you're in a foreign city, so you don't have to worry about someone you know spotting you and thinking you're a friend-less dork for sitting alone in a bar. More likely, strangers will see you as mysterious and alluring. :)

--Kat

pamused said...

aw shucks, j, i may have fiddled with your cover letter a wee bit, but it's your own deliciousness that will land you a great gig. i just know it. let me know if i can help more though.

so proud of you,
xop

ps: something i do sometimes when alone in a new city (a great way to practice your ice-breaking skills) - decide your name and back story for the night, then go out in character. get out of yourself a bit, and have fun. eventually you'll get comfortable enough to approach people as your damn self and start building a social network. in the meantime, it's a great way to explore the town.

pps: if that burglar was so desperate for a tickle in his ass that he needed to steal a vibrator, then obviously he needs it more than your friend. hope she's not too "shaken" up.

Anonymous said...

At least you know that the thief was a female...or was she

miss you...I have met new gays but they aren't as caddy or politically elite. They also don't purse their lips in every pic. go places alone you will have too many friends soon enjoy time alone and unemployed.

Anonymous said...

sorry by the way that last one was me...Molly forgot to mention that

Anonymous said...

no, he was a little blond man. with glasses.
god knows where my favorite little guy has been put now.