Sunday, July 10, 2005

Some things...

London is beginning to feel like home. The newness has worn and the anxiety associated with moving has waned. Right now, I’m enjoying a very comfortable night, typing away on my balcony in South Kensington. I met some people the other night at the Coleherne (my new, somewhat nicer Shamrock) and I finally have some interviews. I have an interview-type thing on Tuesday with a catering firm and an interview on Wednesday with a temp service. They’re not the most glamorous jobs in the world but, I don’t really care. Any job is better than none and I intend to keep looking while I have one. I’m also looking at another apartment on Monday. This one sounds much more promising than the last. Things are really coming together.

I’ve been thinking more about the terrorist attacks and I have a few things to say:
After 9/11, Bush’s approval ratings went way up, just because people felt unsafe; not because he was doing a good job. It’s refreshing to know that Blair’s numbers won’t do that here. They may go up because of the Olympics but, the British people actually question their leaders and the attacks are going to really put Blair in the hot seat. He’s gonna have a lot of shit to take for being in Bush’s back pocket on Afghanistan and Iraq. The British people hate the President almost as much as I do and they don’t take kindly to hearing that these bombs were to reciprocate for British backing of the US-led campaigns. People will see these attacks as proof that being a US ally endangers the country. The political play-out of this should be a very interesting counterpoint to the post-9/11 response.
Authorities are now saying that the attacks are looking more and more like an amateur action. It’s still too early to tell but some of the hallmarks of previous terrorist attacks make this look a little like a copy-cat, homegrown thing. That has truly scary connotations. If this was carried out by people that the authorities didn’t even know about, what else could be in store?
Thankfully, the Transit Authority really swung into action and many security improvements have been made. Apparently, scanners that read heat and anything interfering with it have been installed in all entry ways to the tube stations to catch suicide bombers wearing their explosives. It’s all very intense and scary but life goes on and things get better, right?

If ya’ll haven’t taken a look at my links list, please do. In particular, I want to highlight DailyKos. This is really a very informative, truthful but left-leaning blog. It reaches thousands of people daily and is one of the more influential blogs around. If you haven’t already, please check it out (daily if possibleJ) In particular, please see this article.

In other news, I’ve heard our Jeremy is stealing the show and “seems born for the role of the Major General”…he is the very model after all. Well done, wish I could see it.

No comments: