Friday, July 15, 2005

There’s a machine in my closet…

that takes coins. Namely, it takes £1 coins. In exchange, it gives me electricity. I had no clue such a system existed. I guess it’s rather smart but, it would’ve been nice if I’dve known earlier. As is, I summoned my landlady, at 8 pm, to complain that I had no electricity and all of the food in my refrigerator had gone bad. She asked if I had fed the meter. Excuse me?

Anyway…I am kind of buzzed. It seems that here, people go to the pub straight away after work. It seemed only fitting that I should go to a pub after work today. That’s right, I finally have a job. Today and, a few days next week, I am working for Tobias and Tobias, a web-page development firm in Hammersmith. It’s really an excellent gig. The pay is shit but, hey, income is income at this point. The people are really cool and the office is totally smart and trendy. I had an excellent interview with Source 4 Personnel on Wednesday and they called promptly to give me this job. My agent seems very keen on getting me another job straight away. Woohoo!

I’ve also found employment with the Esprit group. Esprit is the premier supplier of wait staff for catered events in London and I’m very excited to get to work with them. The pay is also shit here but, it should prove interesting. They provide waiters/waitresses for a lot of stuff involving royalty/politicians/celebrities. Many palace jobs and concerts and charity events. Hopefully I’ll get to work soon. I only went through training on Tuesday. It seems that waiting is much more intense than I thought. Did you know that wine must be served over the right hand shoulder but food over the left? Plates, however, are to be cleared over the right. Five minutes before guests arrive, an inch of champagne should be poured. This prevents unseemly bubbles when you’re in a hurry. Anyway, I’m kinda excited about it and look forward to seeing some cool stuff in London through this job.

Rachel finally gets here tomorrow and we even have an apartment to move into. A house actually, with roommates…The coming experience should be entertaining in a ruff sort of way. Rach an I will be living in West Ealing with Elias, a lawyer from Nairobi, Kenya, Sabine from SW Germany and her 6-year-old son, Nikolaus. Here’s hoping it’s everything it can be. I’m sure many an update on this theme will follow.

That’s all for now. I hope you’ve all sent a pink slip to Karl Rove and are rabidly watching how that story develops. Lots of love, good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats on finding employment so fast Whittle! Hope you are having fun. ~Tanya

Anonymous said...

Feed your meter!