Sunday, January 29, 2006

Variety is the spice...

One of the things I love about my job at the Union Theatre is the sometimes dada-ish arrangement of events. On Friday evening I worked a performance by "internationally recognized" Canadian tenor Ben Heppner which was really great. That was followed up on Saturday with a beat poetry competition and a concert by Daara J, a hip-hop group from Senegal. Usually when I know I'm working a hip-hop show I get a bit apprehensive. This is based solely on previous events that have just sucked. Daara J however was really amazing and the guys were great backstage. Go to this site and listen to the selections. Tonight I'll be at work once again for the CD release of a local Irish/Celtic band called Rising Gael. Anyway, it was a great weekend of some really really cool music from opposite ends of the spectrum.

No comments: